how to include an explicit list of files

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Aug 1 15:16:24 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 10:38 -0400, Bruce Bauman wrote:
> I want to rsync files between two machines, but only a subset of the
> files on the server. I want to specify the subset explicitly via a
> list of files to the rsync daemon. I've tried:
>
> filter = + */ \
>           + foo/bar/file1 \
>           + foo/bar/file2 \
>           + bar/baz/file3 \
>           - *
>
> but this doesn't work - I end up with stuff like foo.obsolete/file4
> when rsyncing. I can't use files-from because that's not allowed as an
> option to the daemon.

Use the "support/files-to-excludes" script in the rsync source tree to
convert a files-from list to a filter list that includes the same set of
files.

But are you sure you want to be using daemon filters?  They are intended
as a security feature to block clients from accessing certain files in a
module, while client filters and --files-from files are better suited
for selecting the set of files one wishes to consider on a particular
run.  If it's more convenient, the client can pass a --files-from option
with a colon, like --files-from=:/PATH/TO/LIST, to use a files-from list
on the daemon (this is mentioned in the man page description of
--files-from).

Matt