how to include an explicit list of files

Bruce Bauman bruce.bauman at andesaservices.com
Fri Aug 1 14:38:24 GMT 2008

I want to rsync files between two machines, but only a subset of the files on the server. I want to specify the subset explicitly via a list of files to the rsync daemon. I've tried:

filter = + */ \
          + foo/bar/file1 \
          + foo/bar/file2 \
          + bar/baz/file3 \
          - *

but this doesn't work - I end up with stuff like foo.obsolete/file4 when rsyncing. I can't use files-from because that's not allowed as an option to the daemon.

What am I doing wrong? I've read the documentation (repeatedly) but can't figure this out.

Thanks.

-- Bruce