rsync to copy files remoteserver

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Apr 11 16:00:21 GMT 2008

On Fri 11 Apr 2008, sri vasulu wrote:

> for the first i am trying to use rsync to copy files from remote server to
> local machine.
>
> i am using the rsync  version 3.0.1  protocol version 30 on local machine.
> remote server is using rsync  version 2.6.3  protocol version 28.
>
> i read on web that to copy files from remote server we need to update
>  username&password in the file
> secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt  ,but this file is not available on my etc
> directory.

Only use a secrets file if you want it. Without it, there is no password
check. Also, that secrets file = line is only relevant if you're running
an rsync daemon. If you're using rsync over ssh (as you seem to be
trying), then forget about rsyncd.conf.

> Actually  i am using the following command to copy files from remote server
> to local machine.
>
> *$ rsync -v -e ssh jerry at openbsd.nixcraft.in:~/webroot.txt /tmp*
> **
> after executing the above command I am getting the following error.
> *ssh: openbsd.nixcraft.in: no address associated with name

That means that ssh cannot resolve the hostname given.
Nothing *at* *all* to do with rsync!
First make sure you can login to that host
with plain ssh before trying to run rsync to it.

Paul Slootman