rsync to copy files remoteserver

sri vasulu mlumtech at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:52:27 GMT 2008

Hello every one,

for the first i am trying to use rsync to copy files from remote server to
local machine.

i am using the rsync  version 3.0.1  protocol version 30 on local machine.
remote server is using rsync  version 2.6.3  protocol version 28.

i read on web that to copy files from remote server we need to update
 username&password in the file
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt  ,but this file is not available on my etc
directory.

Actually  i am using the following command to copy files from remote server
to local machine.

*$ rsync -v -e ssh jerry at openbsd.nixcraft.in:~/webroot.txt /tmp*
**
after executing the above command I am getting the following error.
*==============================================================*
*ssh: openbsd.nixcraft.in: no address associated with name
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(635) [receiver=3.0.1]*
**
I have different rsync versions on local machine & remote server is it a
 problem to copy files from remote server to local machine.

could you please suggest me a solution so that i can move further to copy
files.

it's very urgent,waiting for your reply.

Thanks alot
with regards,
mannam srinivas