rsync error: some files could not be transferred -- How to ignore

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Apr 10 17:47:25 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 21:27 -0600, Kenneth Seal wrote:
> In my case, rsync displays the error code "rsync error: some files
> could not be transferred (code 23)" and it kills my script. Do you
> have any advice on how would I go about writing, researching etc. a
> script to tell rsync to ignore such errors?

If I were you, I would try to fix the code 23 instead of ignoring it!
Rsync exits with code 23 when at least one non-fatal error occurs that
may affect the correctness of the transfer.  Perhaps the errors
currently causing the code 23 are unimportant, but if you ignore code
23, you risk missing more important errors in the future (e.g., the
nonexistence of a source argument).

Look for the specific error messages in the output that are causing the
code 23.  If it isn't immediately obvious how to fix them, post them to
the list and I'll take a look.  Or if you don't care about copying the
offending files, you can --exclude them.

Matt