Howto: Mac OS X to Windows VM

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Apr 10 11:58:06 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 17:12 -0500, Rama D. Chavali wrote:
> I have a mac pro and a windows Vm which I want to keep sync.  I tired
> using other Sync programs but they do not seems to be working.  I tend
> to leave applications running which create their own temp files in its
> own specific folder, which caused the other sync programs to crash.  I
> tired SyncToy by MS and Unison.  I am looking for a bi-directional sync
> program that runs in the background and syncs any changes caused to the
> folder.  I heard that rsync can slove this problem for me, but I am not
> sure how.

For bidirectional synchronization, I would recommend Unison.  AFAIK, it
doesn't have a mode to listen for changes in the background and act on
them immediately, but you could configure a cron job or scheduled task
to invoke Unison every few minutes.  If you encountered a problem with
Unison, you can get help via the "mailing list" at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/unison-users .

Matt