Rsync and opened files

devzero at web.de devzero at web.de
Wed Sep 26 20:16:59 GMT 2007

>could this copy correctly opened files?
it`s not a question if it`s open - it`s a question if you get a consistend copy.

with this, there is nothing which makes sure that the files doesn`t change during transfer - so if it happens, on the target side you have a file different from the source.

think of a big database file, gigabytes sized.
now you start rsync. it starts and finds the file different from the backup copy, so it begins to transfer the changes
to the target side. for example, after scanning 2gb of the files and transferring the diffs, the database process may change some blocks within the first 2gb, after that some blocks within the next 2gb rsync yet has to transfer.  but rsync won`t see the changes within the first 2gb and continues reading to the end and transferring/syncing the rest but leaving the first 2gb "as is".
so you may end up having a file in some really inconsistent/weird state!