rsync daemon troubleshooting

chuang liu chliu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 18 17:56:46 GMT 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:41:27PM -0500, chuang liu wrote:
> > I already have "port=5550" in the rsyncd.conf. It looks like I still need
> > to add "--port=5550" in the command line. Is this a known issue with rsync
> > or do I miss anything? I am running rsync version 2.6.3.
>
> The "port" and "address" daemon-config items were added in 2.6.4.
> Before that they were just command-line options.  Your daemon's logfile
> should have a complaint about the port directive not being understood.

aha. that is it. Thanks. I used to put the port value as a global
configuration at the beginning of rsyncd.conf, and rsync just returned
without putting anything in the log. After I moved this line to the
module configuration part, the complaint showed up in the log.

> > > rsync rsyncd.conf rsync://deb-004:5550/ftp/random2.conf
> > @ERROR: max connections (4) reached - try again later
>
> That should mean that 4 others are connected already.  Look on the
> server to see if any daemon processes are still running (in addition
> to the server).

I ran 'ps aux | grep rsync' on my server, and only found the daemon
process. I increased the "max connections" value to 40 (or any other
value), restarted the daemon, made one checkin, and still got the same
error. Does this error have anything to do with the configuration of the
"lock file" or other parameters? I used a file under my own directory as
the lock file

lock file = /home/chliu/rsync/misc/rsyncd.lock

Thanks.

Chuang