[U] RE: RE: RE: RE: Rsync Errors

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:54:18 GMT 2007

On 9/6/07, Peter, Theresa M Ms CONT USAAC <THERESA.PETER at usaac.army.mil> wrote:
> We had just been running with WAS since April and never
> had a problem prior to this.  As far as the network group is concerned they
> made no changes or upgrades to WAS.  So it just seemed odd that out of the
> blue we started to see problems.

Bugs in compression algorithms tend to be very sensitive to the nature
of the data being compressed.  It's possible that the files you have
been copying recently contain data sequences that trigger the bug in
the WAS while files you copied previously did not.

In any event, I recommend that you leave the WAS disabled and use
rsync's built-in compression (-z option) if reducing network traffic
is important.

Matt