[U] Rsync Errors

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:31:21 GMT 2007

On 9/4/07, Peter, Theresa M Ms CONT USAAC <THERESA.PETER at usaac.army.mil> wrote:
> I am seeing the following errors occasionally when doing an rsync between
> servers (Solaris 9) at the local and remote site. Has anyone seen these
> errors before or know what they are?
>
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1122)
> [sender=2.6.9]
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(954) [sender=2.6.9]
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(960) [sender=2.6.9]
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at sender.c(174)
> [sender=2.6.9]
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(954) [sender=2.6.9]
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(960) [sender=2.6.9]
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at sender.c(174)
> [sender=2.6.9]
>
> Both servers are using 2.6.9

> We have had the networking group take a look at their switches and routers
> bc we see "Broken Pipe" errors soon after we get one of the above errors,
> but they are not seeing anything on their end.

The "Broken Pipe" and the "error in rsync protocol data stream" are
both aftermath of a previously occurring error.  The other errors all
mean that the sender received something invalid from the generator.
That could indicate either a bug in rsync or corruption in the network
connection.  You could dump the data that each side sends and receives
over the network using the "savetransfer" program that comes in
support/ of the rsync source package (
http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync-2.6.9.tar.gz ) to determine
whether network corruption is occurring.

Matt