rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at main.c(1385)

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 04:52:29 GMT 2007

On 10/8/07, Mario Domgörgen <md at simplethings.de> wrote:
> i'm trying to backup one of my hosts with a two rsync-scripts, which are
> mainly just calling on the client side
>
> /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender -vlogDtprz --delete-excluded
> --numeric-ids --exclude-from=/etc/sm-backup/rsync.exclude /
>
> and on the server side
>
> rsync -avz --numeric-ids -e "ssh -i $key" --delete --delete-excluded
> rsync@$client:/ $DATA_PATH/$client/daily.0
>
> The backup return with the following message on the server side "rsync
> error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at main.c(1385)
> [generator=2.6.9]", but i can't see any error message on the client
> side. On both machines the newest version of rsync from the debian
> stable repository is installed (2.6.9-2etch1).

The first command is of the form that rsync uses to invoke itself over
a remote shell.  Are you running this command yourself?  If so, why?
Is this instead of or in addition to rsync invoking itself on the
"client" as a result of the second command?  If you explain your setup
a bit more, I will have a better idea of why it isn't working.

Matt