high CPU usage with TAR files

James V jverge at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:57:50 GMT 2007

I am trying to use rsync to backup our Linux server and when the rsync is running it uses 1-2% CPU for most operations until it reaches a tar file (or another file archive), then the CPU usage increases to 90%.  I am assuming that rsync is looking at the individual files in the tar archive and seeing if any have changed instead of looking at the mod time and file size.  I'm sure this is a feature not a bug since I can see situations when you would want that.  I was wondering if it is a way to have rsync just look at the mod time and file size for all file types and not look at individual files in an archive file.

Thanks,
James