period in folder name

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 04:02:10 GMT 2007

On 10/11/07, Stephen Zemlicka <stevezemlicka at gmail.com> wrote:
> XP Pro on both ends.  This is the error in the log
>
> building file list ... file has vanished: "/cygdrive/F/Share/CP
> Art/M-P/M/McCullough Const."
> done
> IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

I imagine that once a period gets into the filename, readdir returns
the name with the period, but when rsync attempts to stat the
directory using that name, Windows strips off the period, causing the
call to miss the actual file.  What I'm wondering is how the period
got there in the first place since Windows seems to strip periods when
files are created (at least in my test on Windows Vista).  Is the
source on a mapped drive backed by a Linux machine, and are customers
creating files directly on the Linux machine?  In that case, Linux
would accept the period and send it to Windows clients listing the
mapped drive.

In any case, there are two things you might try:

(1) If the source is on a Linux machine, run the sending side of rsync
on that machine (rather than over the mapped drive) so rsync can
access the period-ending files correctly.  Keep in mind that if rsync
writes the files to a Windows destination, the periods will get
stripped on the destination.

(2) Before each backup, run a script that scans the source for
period-ending files and renames them.

Matt