Recognizing directory name changes

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 01:41:57 GMT 2007

On 10/10/07, Frank Thomas <fthomas at radiology.ca> wrote:
> First, I'm not sure how to safely compile this into rsync

I don't know what you mean by "safely".  To get an rsync executable
with the patch, download an rsync source package from
http://rsync.samba.org/ (your choice of the stable rsync 2.6.9 or a
snapshot or prelease of rsync 3.0.0), extract it, apply the patch
"patches/detect-renamed.diff", ./configure, and make.

> second, has this patch been widely tested?

I imagine that it has been lightly tested.  You can help by testing it
some more!

> Secondarily, I would love more help on setting up to limit transfer
> sizes. I tried the --stats option, but I didn't seem to get the results
> that I was looking for. Maybe I made a mistake, as I used the -n option
> to perform a dry run and it showed me a zero amount.

Was the "Total transferred file size" zero?  That just means that no
regular files would be transferred, presumably because none of the
source files had changed since the last run.  If the "Total
transferred file size" was zero but rsync itemized transfers, then
something is probably wrong.

Matt