Rsync not able to transfer over jumbo frames?

Jake Conk jake.conk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 03:50:47 GMT 2007

Hello,

I have 2 network cards on my 2 of my computers that I am trying to
transfer data on. The second network cards are specifically for
transferring files between the two so I enabled jumble frames by
setting the mtu to 9000. I seem to be able to connect between the two
via ssh and other methods using this setting so I thought everything
was working right until I tried rsync. I used the following command
and got the error below:

# rsync -auv -e 'ssh' root at 192.168.30.20:/srv/data /srv/data
Password:
receiving file list ... Read from remote host 192.168.30.20:
Connection reset by peer
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(459) [receiver=2.6.8]

I'm using rsync 2.6.8 on both ends and never had this problem before
until I changed the mtu. Anyone know of a way to fix this or does
rsync not work with jumbo frames?

Thanks,
- Jake