Syncing to multiple servers

Pournaris Charalampos charpour at gnet.gr
Tue Nov 27 12:46:32 GMT 2007

Helle everyone,

Let's say we have 3 servers, 2 of them have the latest (stable) version
of rsyncd running (2.6.9)

<Server1> ==> I N T E R N E T ==> <Server2 (rsyncd running)>  ==> LAN
==> <Server3 (rsyncd running)>

Suppose I want to send a big file (bigfile.big) from Server1 to both
Server2 and Server3. It would be a good idea to send first from Server1
-> Server2 and then from Server2 -> Server3 to avoid sending the same
files over the internet (Server2 & 3 are in a Lan and Server 3 is a
replicate of server 2).

Is there a way to send first to Server2 from Server1 and after the rsync
is finished to start syncing from Server2 to Server3 extacly the same
files with the same options ?

I tried the post-xfer exec and pre-xfer exec options in the rsyncd.conf
file but there is no way to get the original sync folder
(/home/./bigfile.big in the following example).

Example:

Server1: rsync -avzR /home/./bigfile.big  Server2::home --progress --delete
.... Syncing ......
Sync done, start internal  (lan) sync: Server2:  rsync -avzR
/home/./bigfile.big  Server3::home --progress --delete

 Thanks for your time

--
Charalampos Pournaris
charpour at gnet.gr