Discussion about the detect-renamed patch

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Nov 6 03:26:46 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 21:25 -0400, Charles Perreault wrote:
> I heard recently about the detect-renamed patch for rsync.  I was about
> to code something similar, I need it badly, but decided to give the
> patch a try first.  It seems to work well but it's rename detection
> scheme seems to be limited.  From my tests, it seems to detect that a
> file has changed name only if the file remains in the same base dir.  It
> detects that a file has moved from one dir to another only if it keeps
> the same name.

--detect-renamed is supposed to be able to detect a rename even when the
file both moves and changes basename, and in my test, it did so.  If you
have a reproducible case in which it doesn't, let's figure out what is
going on.

> I was wondering who is/are the author(s) of the patch (it's not written
> in the patch file) as I'd like to discuss with them about possible
> enhancement.

It appears that the patch was written by Wayne Davison, the current
rsync maintainer.  Discussion about enhancements can occur on this list.

Matt