rsync and translating restricted NTFS filename characters

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Nov 6 05:04:19 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 10:07 -0500, Jeff Weber wrote:
> Is there a solution to rsync Linux file paths with restricted NTFS
> characters, to NTFS?  Perhaps there exists a solution to remap. say,
> Linux path ; [colon] to an alternate character ! [exclamation mark] on
> NTFS ?

Rsync currently does not support that sort of character mapping.  I
hacked up a patch to rsync (attached) to add a --tr option that performs
it.  '--tr=:/!' should accomplish what you need.

Wayne: You can include the patch in patches/ if you like; I doubt the
patch is worth your effort to maintain it, but you did include the ACL
patch when it was at a similar stage.

Matt