rsyncing files that might change

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 09:33:07 GMT 2007

On 11/1/07, Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese at indel.ch> wrote:

> At 23:09 31.10.2007 -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> >On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 10:35 +1000, Franc Carter wrote:
> >> If am rsyncing a file and I have the the following sequence of events
> >> happen in
> >> the same second
> >>
> >>    1. rsync starts
> >>    2. rsync sends some chunk of data to the other end
> >>    3 a local process modifies the chunk that has just been sent
> >
> >> So, my question - is this case a race condition in which a subsequent
> >> run of rsync may miss that the file has been modified and hence skip
> >> it ?
> >
> >Unfortunately, yes.
>
> Shouldn't that be caught by the fact that the source file has a new
> (or at least different) time stamp now?

Sorry, I should have given a clearer example.

All in one second

   1. a process modifies the file and hence updates the source timesatmp
   2. rsync starts
   3. rsync sends the first chunk of data
   4. a process modified the chunk that has been sent, but because it is in
the
       same second there is no visible change to the timestamp

bye   Fabi

> --

Franc