Using --remove-source-files with backup?

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Wed May 9 23:53:54 GMT 2007

On 5/7/07, ScottZ <mylists at pinesalad.net> wrote:
> With --source-backup the tree structure of the original source file is also being included in the --backup-dir directory.

That is an idiosyncracy of the quick-and-dirty way I implemented the
source backup, and I documented it in the patched man page.  To avoid
it, cd into the source directory first so you can give the source
argument as "." or just a filename.

When Wayne made a modified version of the source-backup patch to
include with HEAD of rsync, he found it more convenient to follow the
backup-dir path starting from the source dir rather than the source
argument path starting from the backup dir.  It's not clear to me
whether either of these behaviors is the best possible.

Matt