--copy-links and multi-process

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sun May 6 13:21:48 GMT 2007

On 5/6/07, Marco <marco at waven.com> wrote:
>   I noticed that when I rsync somethings with option:"--copy-links",
> system will create two process that with the same name(different PR
> value). Is that normal?

By PR you mean the process ID, right?

Yes, it's normal to have two or even three processes.  An rsync run in
progress consists of three processes, one on the sending side (sender)
and two on the receiving side (generator and receiver).  On a local
copy, the process you start by hand becomes the sender and forks off
the generator.  On a remote copy, that process becomes sender (push)
or generator (pull) and invokes the generator (push) or sender (pull)
over the network.  Either way, the generator then forks off the
receiver.  Thus, the generator and receiver will always show the same
command line, and the sender will show the same command line as them
on a local copy.

Matt