rsync --owner=myaccount

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri May 4 20:35:41 GMT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:36:58AM +0200, Ezequiel Panepucci wrote:
> I would like to run rsync and be able to specify the target
> UID/GID to use on the command line.

It would be nice to have something like this.  There are also some times
where it would be nice to give rsync some more powerful hints for how to
map the uid/gid values.  So a more general solution might be to have
some mapping options akin to this:

--usermap=foo:bar --usermap=873:1001 --usermap='*:0'
--groupmap=foo:879 --groupmap='*:baz'

That would not be hard to implement given the existing ID mapping that
is already happening.

A daemon that was running as root could be configured to disallow those
options for incoming data, if desired, so I don't see this as having any
negative security implications.  (Especially since an intrepid user
could run their own custom rsync and supply whatever ID values they
wanted attached to file-list data.)

Thoughts?