http as a transport for rsync?

Robert Denton robert at headsprout.com
Wed May 2 16:33:38 GMT 2007

Given the increasing reliance on proxies and filtering devices, it is
harder and harder to rsync across the net.  Do you think we will ever
be able to use http as a transport for rsync?  For example, when will
I be able to do this:

rsync -arv http://rsync.domain.tld/webroot

It would seem that this is the logical next step for rsync and is the
one feature I most desparately need. What would be required for
this?  An apache mod?  Perhaps this email can be a catalyst for a
positive brainstorming session towards this end.

Robert