exclude based on UID/GID?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Mar 30 23:14:41 GMT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 07:19:58PM -0700, Barry Robison wrote:
> However this runs the risk of any files created locally during the
> length of the first rsync being deleted.

For a two-way sync, the "unison" tool is usually a better solution.  Or,
adding a saved list a files with rsync lets the tool notice if a file is
new or deleted by its absense or presence in the list.  One such script
(that uses rsync) is on the resources page of the web site (drsync).

> I've read through exclude.c and by passing the STAT_STRUCT around
> instead of just the file path, it would be pretty easy to add exclude
> flags for UID, GID, size, mtime, etc. Is this a reasonable approach?

I'm hesitant to add that to the regular distribution, but if you work up
your own custom version, I might include a patch for the feature in the
distribution.