Feature request

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 19:50:01 GMT 2007

On 3/29/07, Mike Tishetsky <mike at funlay.com> wrote:
> I recently noticed strange behavior of rsync that is not fatal but is rather
> annoying. During transfer if a symlink representing a directory exists on
> receiver, but is not created by rsync, rsync replaces that symlink with a
> normal directory. This is by default. To prevent this I should specify -K
> argument on sender. But I consider such behavior incorrect because if there
> is a symlink to directory already it should NOT be overwritten by regular
> dir in any case.

I disagree.  If I replace a symlink with a real directory on the
sender, I expect rsync to make the same change on the receiver.

In any case, you can make -K the default on your computer.  Just
rename the rsync executable to rsync1 and write a wrapper script rsync
that says:

#!/bin/bash
exec rsync1 -K "$@"

Matt