owner and group dont match

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Mar 17 00:18:16 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 07:51:47AM -0700, christian.baer wrote:
> But I receive the failure when I try to synchronise with the
> readynas-system.

Did you resend the files to the readynas-system so that they got their
owner and group fixed before trying to copy from it?  It's the copy to
the daemon that requires that the deamon be running as root, otherwise
the files on the daemon get set to the ownership of the daemon UID.

After sending the files to the daemon, list them on the daemon disk.  If
they don't have the right user & group there (at least in ID #, even if
not in name -- the remote system may not have all the same IDs), then
they can't be recovered with full information.

> Is it possible that the format of the readynas-harddisks play a role
> in this case?

It's certainly possible -- if it's losing info, that would make it
impossible to recover that lost info.