Feature Request: case insensitivity for filter rules

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 21:05:32 GMT 2007

On 3/1/07, Matt McCutchen <hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops!  It looks like I fixed only one out of the four cases for rule
> matching (only the case that covered *.sys).  Soon I'll send a patch
> that fixes all four cases.

Attached is the fix for all four cases in two formats: a metapatch to
ignore-case.diff and an equivalent extra patch to be applied after
ignore-case.diff .

On 3/1/07, Steven Morehouse <steven at criticalnode.com> wrote:
> Now the only thing is... I don't know how to patch a patch :(  Sorry, I'm
> not very experienced with building from source.  Figuring out how to apply a
> patch to rsync's source was easy since the patch begins with instructions...
> but your patch doesn't (that I can decipher anyway).  If I understand
> correctly, your patch patches the patch that patches the src, right?  Any
> tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I made my changes based on the current CVS rsync, but now that I think
of it, you would probably rather have a fixed version of rsync 2.6.9
because the CVS rsync is unstable.  Extra patches are much more likely
to apply correctly to a different version of the software than
metapatches, so I made an extra patch.  Extract rsync 2.6.9, apply
ignore-case.diff according to the instructions, and then apply
ignore-case-filters-extra.diff like this:

patch -p1 <path/to/ignore-case-filters-extra.diff

You should get a harmless warning about an offset of -24 lines.  If
you have trouble with this, you can use the pre-patched source package
I posted here:

http://www.kepreon.com/~matt/private/rsync-2.6.9-ignore-case-filters.tar.bz2

Please reply if you have any questions.

Matt