Get a summary of directories recursed

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 13:22:00 GMT 2007

On 6/7/07, reader at newsguy.com <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
> That doesn't really help enough, unless you know every directory under
> the main directory being recursed because it doesn't list the
> uppermost directory.
>
> For example: One of my runs backs up /etc  However /etc is not
> mentioned in the output of -ii.  All directories are listed following
> a ^.d lead on the line but not /etc/ itself.

There are two ways you can get rsync to print the /etc/ in front of
the files processed:

(1) Use --out-format=%i%f .  %f means to print the full file path
including the source argument.

(2) Use --relative so that the transfer is rooted at / and the /etc/
is included in the file list.  Adjust the destination path
appropriately so you don't get etc/etc in the backup.

Matt