files permission and hidden files are not rsync properly

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jul 19 18:20:11 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 10:42:05AM -0400, Abdul Khan wrote:
> rsync --verbose --progress --stats --recursive
> /home/vpopmail/ 192.167.1.61::email_backup/

You didn't specify owner or group preservation.  I recommend using -a
(--archive) so that you get everything preserved and everything copied.
It sounds like you have already updated the daemon config so that the
receiving side is running as root (which makes the preservation of
ownership possible).

In rsync 3.0.0 (which is not yet released), there is a way to run a
non-root daemon that can save privileged information:  the --fake-super
option will store things like ownership info (etc.) into an extended
attribute.  This will allow a daemon to run as user nobody without
losing the ability to backup and restore the full details of files.