files permission and hidden files are not rsync properly

A. Khan akhan at systems.fleetwoodmetal.com
Thu Jul 19 15:49:30 GMT 2007

>  > In the future and if you need more help on this issue than the below,
> > please send the exact rsync command you used!
>
>  Here is the command that I ran from the destinition machine which is
> also
> running the rsync daemon or the rsync server;
>
> [root at mail admin]# rsync --verbose --progress --stats --recursive
> /home/vpopmail/ 192.167.1.61::email_backup/
>
> they are not symlinks as log mentioned they are hidden files (or dot
> files),
"Hidden file" is not a file type.  On Unix-like systems, the concept
of hidden-ness does not exist at the filesystem level or in most
filesystem tools (e.g., rsync).  That a file whose name begins with a
dot is considered hidden is merely a convention among the user
interfaces of most file listers/browsers and a few other tools.
> so is there any thing specific that I have to add in the command
> to copy those as well?
As per the above, dot files are nothing out of the ordinary to rsync
and no special option is needed to make rsync copy them.

 >Please send the "ls -la" output showing the dot files so I can see
 >what their file type is (as indicated by the first character of each
 >line of the  listing).

Matt you are right that the hidden files are not file types. I certainly
overlooked at them and they are basically Symlinks. (sorry for my
previous claim) I was basically mixing with one of our other box that I
had to create some hidden files (dot files) manually. Applology.

Since that is out of the way I can pass --links with rsync command to
rsync the symlinks.
Here is the ls -la output of few of the files that you asked for;

lrwxrwxrwx   1 vpopmail vchkpw    57 Oct 23  2006 .qmail-allusers ->
/home/vpopmail/domains/f leetwoodmetal.com/allusers/editor
lrwxrwxrwx   1 vpopmail vchkpw    60 Oct 23  2006
.qmail-allusers-accept-default -> /home/vpo
pmail/domains/fleetwoodmetal.com/allusers/moderator
lrwxrwxrwx   1 vpopmail vchkpw    58 Oct 23  2006
.qmail-allusers-default -> /home/vpopmail/d
omains/fleetwoodmetal.com/allusers/manager

 >I just realized a much more likely cause of the problem.  If the rsync
 >daemon on the destination is started as "root", by default it changes
 >IDs to "nobody:nobody" before accessing the module and thus loses the
 >power to set the owners of received files arbitrarily (in this case,
 >to "vpopmail:vchkpw").  To make the daemon stay as root so it can
 >chown the  files, explicitly say "uid = root" and "gid = root" in the
 >rsyncd.conf .

Here is the existing /etc/rsyncd.conf file;

[root at mail fleetwoodmetal.com]# cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
log format = %h %o %f %l %b
[email_backup]
path = /email_backup