using rsync 3.0.0 CVS version

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Jan 30 13:38:42 GMT 2007

On Mon 29 Jan 2007, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 06:33:19PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > Unfortunately the current CVS version (updated a couple of hours ago)
> > still hangs :(
>
> I found another potential hang scenario that could happen if the
> generator was having to wait for a new file list to arrive, but failed
> to tell the sender that the oldest file-list had been completed.
>
> The code that I just checked into CVS handles this all in a much better
> fashion, so I'm hoping that it should make it through your big transfer
> without hanging now.  (The "nightly" tar file was updated as well.)

I did a cvs update, and rebuilt my rsync.
It now survived a pass over one of my large dirs, and it's almost
through the next one as well :-)  Perhaps too early to say for sure,
but it's looking good.

It also did the sync in under 2 hours, whereas the non-incremental
version would take up to 12 hours, and use up to 500MB of memory.

Paul Slootman