using rsync 3.0.0 CVS version

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jan 22 22:24:06 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:04:10PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> This was to another system, over Gbit ethernet; both sides are amd64,
> running in 64 bits mode.

Make sure that both sides are running the exact same code for protocol
30 (because the protocol is still in flux).  If one side is older,
you'll need to use --protocol=29 for the transfer.  I don't advise
installing a protocol-30 server except for testing (at least not until
the protocol stabilizes).

> Hmm, I just noticed that the chroot timezone problem is still there as
> well:

That's a C library problem.  As of 2.6.9 we call strftime() prior to the
chroot() call.  If that's not enough to make the C library behave, there
is nothing rsync can do about it.  You may be able to set a value of the
TZ environment variable that helps, but it might not make any difference.
You could also resort to copying any necessary timezone-config files into
the chroot area and then hide them via an exclude in the rsyncd.conf file.