Error in rsync protocol datastream on sync of

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 22:30:01 GMT 2007

On 1/11/07, Sturla Holm Hansen <sturla at hitconsult.no> wrote:
> Hi list.
> I'm using OpenVPN to rsync a bunch of hosts each night and it works great
> on all but two of them which gives:
>
> Error in rsync protocol datastream on sync of <hostname>

That message is not exactly the same as the one rsync prints ("error
in rsync protocol data stream", note lowercase "e" and separate words
"data stream").  That leads me to believe that the error is not from
rsync itself but from some other tool that wraps rsync and interprets
the exit code of 12.  To have any idea what the problem is, we need to
know the complete error message that rsync itself prints before
exiting.  You could look for that message in any relevant log files.

Matt