Migrating Rsync Disk

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Dec 28 16:12:41 GMT 2007

On Fri 28 Dec 2007, pichi wrote:

> I have a Debian Etch server (Server A) running Rsync 2.6.9. In Server A I
> have a second hard drive mounted where I rsync data (about 400 GB) from
> server B.
>
> Server A needs to be rebuilt because I didnt partition it correctly and for
> other reasons I wont get into. My question is how can I maintain my
> rsync(ed) data on the second hard drive in the new Server A without having
> to re-rsync everything again.?

That's more an installation question than an rsync question...

Make sure that when you repartition and reinstall server A, you don't
touch the second disk. After you're done installing, mount the second
disk again and continue as before.

It may be useful to first note the /etc/fstab line you use to mount the
second disk.

Paul Slootman