Different results depending on the user launching rsync

Eduardo Juan eduardo.juan at ericsson.com
Mon Dec 10 13:32:13 GMT 2007

Hi

Exactly the same command shows different rsync results depending on the
user executing the rsync.
If I execute rsync as root I get a proper result but if I execute as
user_x there seems to be many files that require updating.

Here is the command I execute

/opt/local/bin/rsync -avuzhn --relative -e ssh
--exclude-from=/TT_TCM/SEA/scripts/LMI/backup_exclude_files_norelative.t
xt --rsync-path=/opt/local/bin/rsync /sea_bete_disk/LMI_IRELAND/
seaserv1lmi:

I'm using rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29.

I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.
Has anyone seen this problem before ?

The only explanation I can find is that when I execute as user_x all the
files on the destination directory will have the owner changed to the
user executing rsync. If this is so is there a way avoid it and preserve
file ownership.

Best regards,
Eduardo de Juan