creation date and OSX

Robert DuToit rdutoit at capecod.net
Sun Dec 2 04:45:13 GMT 2007

Hi,
   I've been using rsync (OSX Tiger now Leopard) to backup my home
folder daily using -a -H -A -X link-dest=dir to make incremental
backups. There was a problem though since many files especially
images, movies etc would be recopied each time instead of creating
hard links. I have been testing the pre5 release and found that it
seems to make hard links correctly for all files. I am hoping rsync
3.0 can replace the Apple version which has been so flawed.

I tried the osx-create-time.diff patch too and it works but it took
twice as long to copy my home folder as without and ground to a halt
the last time. I know the creation date issue is somewhat "fringe" for
rsync but it does matter to a lot of OSX folk so I don't know if there
is any way to speed it up. I've made some small backup wrapper
applications for people and they always want the creation date.....

I noticed the rsync version that is used now in Carbon Copy Cloner is
pretty "clean" with meatdata and saves the creation date and is very
fast.....  Just some thoughts-I don't have any experience with this
code so can't help in that way.  Thanks, Rob