Weird exclude info

Dave Markham dave.markham at fjserv.net
Thu Apr 26 14:40:24 GMT 2007

I have a rsync script which connects to a remote machine and pulls a
file list back to backup. It also parses a remote config file and
creates a local exclude list to use when doing the backup. I wont bore
you with the script details but im having a weird issue with exclude.

If there are files to be excluded they are put into a file like this :-

$ cat tmp/lavatest.exclude
/path/to/exclude
/export/home/user/test/dontgetme

Now when the rsync runs i use the following options (ignore the variables):-

rsync -exclude-from=/path/tmp/lavatesting.exclude  -PaRzq --delete
--delete-excluded --copy-unsafe-links --numeric-ids -e "${SSH}"
root@${remote_get_host}:${RLIST} ${remote_get_localdir} >>
${remote_errorlog} 2>> ${remote_errorlog}

The file list im trying to backup just for this e.g is
/export/home/user/test/  which contains a file called 'getme' and one
called 'dontgetme'

I assumed the dontgetme should be excluded.

I get the following in the log i create -

        Starting get of [/etc/inet/hosts]

rsync: -exclude-from=/path/tmp/lavatesting.exclude: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(994)

        Starting get of [/export/home/user/test]

rsync: -exclude-from=/path/tmp/lavatesting.exclude: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(994)

Any ideas?