rsync & SSL 'for real'

Lawrence D. Dunn ldunn at cisco.com
Wed Apr 18 05:57:08 GMT 2007

Colleagues,
   If you do pursue SSL functionality directly in rsync,
   please be sure to take a look at Chris Rapier's work
   to "fix" standard ssh implementations, at:
   http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

   Turns out "-e ssh" using most libraries puts a fixed-window-size
ssh-windowing
   behavior on top of TCP - so for large bandwidth*delay product paths,
   even if you use large TCP buffers (which Wayne added for such paths),
   an "un-fixed" SSL library can clobber overall performance/throughput,
   even for a perfectly clean (no  errors/loss) path.

Larry