RSync / Vista / Junction Points issue

Scott Bussinger scottb at opto-pps.com
Fri Apr 6 15:37:42 GMT 2007

I'm running DeltaCopy (essentially a Windows friendly GUI wrapper around
RSync 2.6.6) on Microsoft Vista. I'm trying to make a backup of a user's
profile directory. One big difference between Vista and earlier Windows
versions is that Vista makes extensive use of Junction Points (sort of like
Unix symlinks) for compatibility. For instance, in a profile directory there
are 16 junction points defined such as the "C:\Users\ronb\Cookies\"
directory is really a junction point linking to
"C:\Users\ronb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\". RSync doesn't
seem to handle these junction points very well and you get an error message
like this on each occurance:

    rsync: opendir "/cygdrive/C/Users/ronb/Cookies" failed: Permission
denied (13)

RSync has numerous options concerning unix style symlinks, but the default
is to ignore them. I'd be fine with that but RSync doesn't seem to treat
junction points as links.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Hopefully someone will pass this
information onto the appropriate place to get it fixed eventually.

Thanks!