Strange file locking behaviour

Aaron Hawryluk webmaster at calgarysun.com
Thu Sep 28 15:32:45 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Bit of a sticky situation - we use rsync to mirror files from a remote
staging server to our development server (both on Linux).  The mirroring
works fine, however, while the rsync process is running, our apache service
on the destination system can't access the files.  Is rsync locking the
destination file system while it checks the files or something? Anyone got
any idea how I could get around this? My only other option at this stage is
to try to use Volume Shadow Copy across networks, and that doesn't sound
like fun.

Aaron Hawryluk

Webmaster, The Calgary Sun

webmaster at calgarysun.com