incoming chmod on daemon fails on subdirectories

Bill Uhl bill at greenlightnet.com
Fri Sep 22 16:05:43 GMT 2006

Paul Slootman wrote:

>On Fri 22 Sep 2006, Bill Uhl wrote:
>

>>Tried leaving out the repeated D and F per the manpage. Permissions
>>without the leading D and F were applied to both directories and files.
>>I am not sure how this would work. Would this make the chmod settings
>>order specific?
>>

>I had guessed order-specific; at least, that's what the example in the
>manpage suggests:
>
>        In addition  to  the  normal  parsing  rules  specified  in  the
>        chmod(1) manpage, you can specify an item that should only apply
>        to a directory by prefixing it with a 'D', or  specify  an  item
>        that  should  only  apply  to a file by prefixing it with a 'F'.
>        For example:
>
>        --chmod=Dg+s,ug+w,Fo-w,+X

I guessed they might be order specific too, but I did not run trials to
test that. The fact that the behavior changes when it goes down a level
is what I focused on.

>>Regarding the filesystem, it's ext3 on an LVM logical volume on a
>>software raid mirror.
>>

>Then I wonder where the sys_acl_get_file(..., SMB_ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT)
>message came from...

Could this be something coming from the client? The source is a windows
2000 pro system with an ntfs filesystem. I really don't know.

Bill