incoming chmod on daemon fails on subdirectories

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Sep 22 15:47:07 GMT 2006

On Fri 22 Sep 2006, Bill Uhl wrote:

> Tried leaving out the repeated D and F per the manpage. Permissions
> without the leading D and F were applied to both directories and files.
> I am not sure how this would work. Would this make the chmod settings
> order specific?

I had guessed order-specific; at least, that's what the example in the
manpage suggests:

        In addition  to  the  normal  parsing  rules  specified  in  the
        chmod(1) manpage, you can specify an item that should only apply
        to a directory by prefixing it with a 'D', or  specify  an  item
        that  should  only  apply  to a file by prefixing it with a 'F'.
        For example:

        --chmod=Dg+s,ug+w,Fo-w,+X

> Regarding the filesystem, it's ext3 on an LVM logical volume on a
> software raid mirror.

Then I wonder where the sys_acl_get_file(..., SMB_ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT)
message came from...

Paul Slootman