Questions and comments regarding --remove-sent-files (Was: New delete option?)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Sep 18 00:41:42 GMT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:05:10PM -0500, Evan Harris wrote:
> So, I agree with the parent message that either --remove-sent-files should
> delete the files immediately after they are successfully sent, or a new
> option should be added (--move maybe?) that does it that way.

It can never do it immediately, because it must wait for the receiver to
indicate that the file was updated correctly (otherwise the sender could
remove a file that never made it to the receiver).  Recent rsyncs (2.6.7
and beyond) have a heuristic that prevents the generator from running
too far ahead of the sender, which has the result of making the file-
removals happen much sooner than they did in earlier versions.  The CVS
version also has a new option, --remove-source-files, and works in a
better way than the (now deprecated) --remove-sent-files option.