Rsync and DTrace

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 21:30:39 GMT 2006

On 11/30/06, diversos <diversos at posix.brte.com.br> wrote:
>  The performance was terrible. After some tests with raid0, raid1, non-SATA discs, and using DTrace, i have realized that the problem was the "gnome-terminal". Basically the "-v" switch.

I've noticed something similar on my Linux machine.  If I run "rsync
-v" at a virtual terminal (not through X) to back up my hard disk to a
locally attached external disk, rsync runs considerably faster when I
select a virtual terminal other than the one to which it is printing
its messages.  I don't know what is going on here but I agree with
Carles that it probably isn't specific to rsync.

Matt