questions about extended attributes support across *nix & osx (hfs+) filesys

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Sat Nov 25 14:13:40 GMT 2006

On Nov 25, 2006, at 4:11 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:
>> will these dependencies be resolved -- either by bundling req'd
>> headers with the distro, or by finding/using osx equivalents?
>
> The main release should stick fairly close to the posix functions,
> and will not have any extra libraries bundled in.  If someone has
> some simple code that would wrap up more native OS X functions into
> posix-like functions, that would be considered, but I doubt it would
> be a very simple wrapper.

I assume snowcrash meant the 'copyfile' header, which is how apple
saves extended attributes, resource forks, and ACLs. I don't think
that's a great idea to use... it only lets you backup this meta-data
to so-called appledouble files, whereas the current rsync xattr
approach saves them attached with the same file.