Rsync resource consumption, whilst building a large file list

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Wed Nov 15 18:04:49 GMT 2006

I need to rsync a large collection of files (images) that number in the
1000's.  We have 2 repositories, one was mass-copied recently, the other
has since had updates performed.   The initial copy took over 5 hours to
complete ;-)  What we want is only to update the destination (old) copy
with newer files, delete anything that shouldn't be there.

What I'm trying to determine is how rsync uses resources whilst building
the comparison lists.

Does rsync build a file tree to a temp file, or is it doing this in memory?

I checked through the manpage, and didn't see anything that mentioned
this - or did I overlook something.

Thanks.