How Can I Duplicate an Entire Drive?

Edoardo Costa edoardo at precognet.com
Sat Nov 11 08:34:22 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 03:18, Robert Temple wrote:
...snip...
> I've looked into various disk copy & backup programs and the consensus is
> rsync is the tool I need. But all the instructions I've read are how to
> copy specific directories and/or do incremental backups, not on mirroring a
> complete drive.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Robert,
I think you will be better off using a tool such as "dd" which will do a copy
of the disk rather than the files.  I'd have a look at the dd man page and
see if it does what you are looking for.  I used it to take a disk image of a
failing disk over my lan.  Worked great.
Regards,
 -Ed

PS: Rsync users, if you think I am wrong, please let me know... knowledge is
power. ;)