rsync shows poor throughput vs. scp

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Tue May 30 21:49:23 GMT 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:29:12PM -0400, Marty Mulligan wrote:
> Why is scp /so much faster/ than rsync here?  Is there anything I can do
> to improve the speed of these transfers?
>
> Fwiw, this is the rsync command I'm issuing:
>
> rsync -azL --whole-file --stats --progress --delete sender::my_files
> /test_destination

Someone else pointed this out but it bears repeating since you never
replied saying you had this figuredout.   i don't know whether things will
get compressed or not based on your configuration (-z vs. dont compress)
but try without the -z.  If it *is* trying to compress that could easily
explain the slow speed of your transfers.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile