rsync shows poor throughput vs. scp

Tony Abernethy tony at servacorp.com
Thu May 25 02:30:23 GMT 2006

You should get some better answers, but a couple of points jump out at me.
If the files are already compressed, "small" changes result in very
different files,
so the business of reading both the target and the source to find common
stuff is kinda counterproductive.

Also the -z (compressing something already compressed) can't really do much
good,
particularly with LAN speeds

Methinks in this case, you want to disable a bunch of stuff that makes rsync
great. Seriously.
Basically, you want rsync to copy the entire file if the timestamp is
different.
You do not want thingees that are extremely useful for transferring big
files over bad connections.
(I suspect that here is a case where you use rsync because it's easier to
figure out rsync
that to use something (actually quite different) that is more "appropriate".

You discover that "copy stuff from here to there (or vice-versa) is actually
incredibly complicated as to exactly what you (should) mean.