rsync client to daemon over ssh tunnel connection issues

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu May 18 17:40:47 GMT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 02:57:50PM +0000, Doug Lochart wrote:
> I would put the strace on it if we could recreate the error.

There's no need when you have the daemon's log-file telling you why the
remote rsync exited.  In the first case, both sides complain about the
connection going away, so that closure was out of rsync's hands (and
diagnosing rsync can tell you nothing more since something else failed).
The "unexpected tag 3" error is something that is already fixed in CVS,
but can be manually patched into the 2.6.8 release if you'd prefer to
take the more cautious route than using the CVS version (there is a link
to the NEWS file of the CVS version right on the main webpage for
rsync that will tell you what has changed in the CVS version).

I'm about to post a slightly updated patch for 2.6.8 that will make the
patch correspond with the final fix that ended up in CVS.